The Postal Museum is awesome!

The past few days have been really fun getting to know the city and the other members of my group. Everyone has been really warm and inviting. On Sunday we attended the DC singles ward. It was a very interesting experience. The ward is huge. There are over 300 members! That seems pretty big for a singles ward. The Bishop and some of the ward members talked a lot about overcoming the us vs. them mentality that the ward has toward the interns and vice versa. They are trying to encourage the interns to become really part of the ward rather than just on the periphery because they are there for a short time. I guess this is a good idea.. I just don't want them to ask me to do anything... My only experience with a single's ward calling was being a member of the "Birthday Committee." There were 5 girls assigned to give the girls a birthday card on their birthday.. pretty tough.. all FIVE of us were SO busy trying to figure out how to do such a difficult task.

After church my dad and I went to a pub and drank root beer and ate beer batter fish and chips. We watched football and the bartender make drinks from hundreds of bottles of alcohol. Then I went to the museum of natural history and saw the Hope diamond! It was pretty cool but not as cool as the huge yellow diamond necklace in the other room! Then we went to Nation Gallery of Art and they were having a free concert. The concert was incredible, they had a really famous opera singer and music leader guy (what is that called again)? It was a really relaxing way to end a Sunday.
My dad left that night and I finally got my room organized. I'm going to try really hard to keep my room clean. The room is just too small to even be a little messy. If one shirt is on the ground there is no room to walk! So far I feel pretty organized and have been successful at keeping clean.
Today we had class all morning meeting all the people in the Barlow Center and learning how to be a good intern. The most important point that every person talked about was to dress nice. They said no one will respect you at all in your internship if you aren't dress nice. I guess that is a huge part of DC culture. They also told us we can't leave our floor without looking nice in case a GA or ambassador comes to the center.
After class we were assigned to groups of five and had to find all of our internships. One girl is interning at the National Portrait Gallery. After we found her internship we went to Chinatown and ate lunch in a cute little restaurant. It was really good and inexpensive. Another girl is interning for NBC- which is right next door to the "National Brotherhood of Teamsters." Do you have any idea what that is??
On our way to the next internship we got distracted by the Postal Museum. It was so fun at parts and extremely weird at other parts.. I got to make a postcard and send it for 28 cents. I made one for Cayden and sent it to him, so he will be seeing it soon. We went through the evolution of mail tunnel thing which started out in a forest where trackers would mark trees to how where to go to reach the town. Then we got to sit in a horse and carriage and look at a sled car. The coolest part was when it showed all these security measures. They had a mini camera in a clock and fingerprint analysis stuff and fraudulent checks and credit cards being caught and stuff. I'm not really sure how that part tied in to the postal office though. The weird part was the section where you put your finger on this metal plate and a guy appears and reads you a catalogue in all these different outfits and accents- like a southern belle in a blonde wig and a cowboy. Then you have to answer all these questions and get your picture taken so you can get a card. You think that you are going to do something awesome with this card and you bring it to this huge machine. After a 10 minute video of a dancing robot guy talking about the machine you get an envelope with a 10% off coupon to the gift shop and a paper with your picture on it. It was ridiculous!! I could not stop laughing the entire time.
Then we went to the capital and the house office buildings because one of the boys is working for an Arizona congressman. The capital was completely empty. We were the only ones besides security even on the property. I was able to take a lot of pictures with absolutely no crowds.
Tomorrow a 9 o' clock I start my internship. I'm really starting to get nervous. I hope I don't do something stupid or end up being late or something. I will post again tomorrow and let you know about my first day!

2 comments:

heidi said...

Awesome post! I love all your details. NBC of teamsters sounds awfully fishy.
Good luck on your first day! Or if it's over - hope it went well!

Lopsy said...

love the blog keep it up! good luck at your internship.

Post a Comment